MARRIAGE & PARTNERSHIPS
Spouses & Civil Partners
If you are the husband, wife or civil partner of someone who is British or has indefinite leave to remain here, then you may be able to apply to join or stay with them in the UK under British immigration laws.
How Can I Apply For This Visa?
If you apply from abroad to enter the UK, you will be granted a visa that lasts for 2 years and 9 months initially. If you apply from inside the UK, you will be given 2 and a half years’ leave to remain initially.
What Are The Requirements Under This Visa?
You will have to show that you meet the following requirements:
• Your spouse or partner in the UK has a gross annual income of at least £18,600.
• You are both aged 18 or over at the date of the application; and
• You have met in person and are legally married or in a civil partnership; and
• Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently; and
• Any previous relationship that either of you have had has broken down permanently; and
• There will be enough accommodation for you and anyone else living with you without relying on public funds; and
• You speak and understand English to the required level;
• You meet the UK Visas and Immigration’s financial requirement.
How Can I Extend My Stay?
Once you have lived together with your spouse or civil partner in the UK for two and a half years, you will then need to apply for further leave to remain and show that you meet the same requirements.
When Can I apply To Remain in the UK Permanently?
Once you have been in the UK for 5 years, you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain. After obtaining settlement, you will be able to apply for British citizenship.
If you are not married or in a civil partnership but you are in a long-term relationship with someone who is British or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then you may be able to apply to join or stay with them in the UK.
The requirements are the same as under the Spouse and Civil Partners apart from the fact that instead of having to provide a marriage certificate or civil partnership, you will need to demonstrate that you will have been living together as a couple for at least two years.
Fiancée and Proposed Civil Partners
If you are engaged to someone who is British or has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, then you may be able to apply to join them here as their fiancé (e) or proposed civil partner. You cannot apply for this visa from inside the UK.
A fiancé (e) or proposed civil partner visa will be issued for six months. Once you have had your marriage or civil partnership, you will be able to apply to switch into the spouse or civil partner category. You will then need to meet the requirements set out above in relation to spouses and civil partners.